Tomasz Ostaszewski was born in 1989 in Augustow, Poland. He started playing the accordion at the age of seven years in the PSM school in Augustow in the class taught by mgr. Tadeusz Giedrojc. Tomasz has then graduated from the Secondary School of Music (II degree) with honors in the accordion class taught by mgr. Jerzy Kozlowski in Bialystok, Poland.
Tomasz is a graduate of the Fryderyk Chopin Music University in Warsaw (Poland) in the accordion class of prof. Jerzy Jurek and prof. Klaudiusz Baran (with honors in 2013). During the solemn celebration of the University on February 22nd in 2014, rector of the Fryderyk Chopin University had awarded Tomasz Ostaszewski with a medal Magna cum Laude, as one of the most outstanding graduates in recent years.
With his knowledge and skills learned at at the master classes, during which he worked under the guidance of educators like Prof. Wlodzimierz Lech Puchnowski (Poland), Alexander Dmitriev (Russia), Alexander Selivanov (Russia), Yuri Shishkin (Russia), Claudio Jacomucci (Italy), Teodoro Anzellotti (Italy) and Alfred Melichar (Austria).
Mr. Ostaszewski is the winner of many prestigious accordion competitions. Among his competition successes, the most important awards can be mentioned here:
- I prize at the National Accordion Competition in Mlawa (Poland) in 2008 and 2011.
- I prize at the National Accordion Competition in Chelm (Poland) in 2008 and 2011.
- I prize at the International Accordion Competition in Sanok (Poland) 2010.
- II prize at the International Accordion Competition “Carlo Civardi” in Val Tidone (Italy) 2010.
- I prize at the International Accordion Competition in Vilnius (Lithuania), 2011.
- First Prize at the National Competition of Accordion Music in Solec Zdroj (Poland) 2011.
- II prize at the International Accordion Festival in Przemysl (Poland) 2011.
- I prize at the International Accordion Festival in Przemysl, (Poland) 2012.
- II prize and special prize for best performance of the obligatory piece at the International Accordion Competition in Arrasate-Mondragon (Spain), 2012.
- First Prize at the XI National Accordion Competition in (Poland) Przemysl, 2013.
- IV prize at the 65 International Accordion Competition “Trophée Mondial” in Martigny (Switzerland) 2015.
- In July 2012. Tomasz was IBLA Grand Prize winner of the “World Music Competition” in Ragusa, Sicily (Italy). As a part of reward, he was invited and did a tour in the United States, performing in one of the most prestigious concert halls in the world – Carnegie Hall in New York in May 2013.
Tomasz has performed solo, chamber music and with orchestras throughout the country of Poland and abroad, in the United States, Japan, China, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, Croatia, Hungary, Ukraine and Lithuania. He has made recordings for the American, Polish and Lithuanian radio and television.
In 2011, Mr. Ostaszewski has received a scholarship from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage “Young Poland” to purchase an accordion concert high quality and scholarship Pro Polonia Dongsan Research Foundation for outstanding artistic achievements.
In 2013, Tomasz received a scholarship bank Société Générale and recorded his first solo CD.
“Tomasz Ostaszewski is one of the most outstanding musicians of the young generation.”
“…There must be something in the water in Poland that produces such virtuosos of the accordion (I heard many of them, both here and in Poland), and Tomasz is a virtuoso of a high class. It was an excellent performance.”
– Jeffrey James, composer, music critic. /fragment review of the concert at the Carnegie Hall/